Thursday, November 15, 2012

.40 caliber: Like or Dislike?


from: http://www.thetacticalwire.com/features/226778

Do you agree or disagree with Tiger McKee?

That is the question.

Please read his article at: http://www.thetacticalwire.com/features/226778

Skill Set: Why I Don't Like the Forty
by Tiger McKee


This pair of Glocks are 9mm and the .40 caliber versions are the same size. The more abrupt cartridge, the .40 Auto, is harder on the machinery and the shooter. Is it enough more effective than the 9x19mm to justify going to the .40? Rich Grassi Photo
I do not like the .40 caliber. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with me on this, but since it's my column I get to state my opinion. This opinion is based on two issues with .40 caliber pistols. Keep in mind that an issue is something that is common, you see it a lot, as opposed to a problem, which is normally limited to an individual or particular weapon.

The .40 was developed specifically as a law enforcement caliber by Smith & Wesson and Winchester and as a direct result of the 1986 F.B.I. Miami shootout between agents and two hard criminals, Platt and Matix. Both bad guys were killed, but two agents were killed with five others injured. Basically the F.B.I. was looking for a cartridge that had the performance of the .38 Special +P load that would work with a semi-auto pistol. The .40 is supposedly the ideal blend of bullet size and velocity.

This pair of Glocks are 9mm and the .40 caliber versions are the same size. The more abrupt cartridge, the .40 Auto, is harder on the machinery and the shooter. Is it enough more effective than the 9x19mm to justify going to the .40? Rich Grassi Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment